Thursday 29 November 2012

A tribute to legend Vedantam Satyanarayana Sarma (Sept 9, 1935 - Nov 16, 2012) - Sridharachari

Vedantam Satyanarayana Sarma, a legend of Kuchipudi dance, was admired, acknowledged, revered as one of the best when it came to portrayal of female impersonation roles to such perfection that it was hard for the audience to believe that the performer they saw and appreciated on stage was in fact a male. Such a towering personality is no more among us in the mortal world though his stupendous work is for the benefit of posterity. His portrayal of female roles in Kuchipudi Yakshaganams such as Usha in Usha Parinayam, Satyabhama in Bhama Kalapam, Deva Devi in Vipra Narayana, Mohini in Mohini Rukmangada, Sasirekha in Sasirekha Parinayam and Gollabhama in Gollakalapam,  have been much appreciated over a period spanning almost six decades.

Read the tribute in the site

1 comment:

  1. I had the pleasure of enjoying his performance at my cousin's wedding in a tiny village in his hay days. I recall my cousins and me sneak in back stage to make sure he is really a girl! I was 12 years old, now I am close to eighty.

    ReplyDelete